I wrote about vision a while ago. The latest edition of the AVCA magazine ‘Coaching Volleyball’ has an article about it in the latest edition. Apart from using the word ‘new’ to describe research that is over four years old, it is a very interesting overview. Some points from the article:
– focal vision (what we focus on) is only a very small range and therefore what we look at is important
– focal vision (unlike peripheral vision) is trainable
– before ball contact excellent receivers watch the area in which the ball will be contacted, rather than the ball itself
– excellent receivers watch the ball for longer than less good receivers
– excellent receivers don’t watch the ball on the way to the setter
The article itself is here, beginning on page 10.